Hermanus Chess Club Online Ladder
The format will be 3 days per move, random colors with a standard
- Only one ladder game is played to determine the winner.
Your 1st challenge is "free" i.e. you can challenge anyone providing
they are not already playing someone. Thereafter you may challenge
anybody up to 4 unchallenged places above you (not counting people on
Vacation or people already playing a challenge game, i.e. with an X
next to them).
Name your game "Ladder Challenge" or something similar, so your
opponent knows it is for the ladder (if you cannot change the default
name, send a message that it is Ladder challenge). Always remember to
post your challenge in the corresponding forum (either liches or
If the higher position on the ladder wins or the game ends in a draw,
no change in positions. If the lower one wins, they take over the
higher spot and everybody in-between moves down 1 position.
- You have to accept all challenges within 5 days except if:
If you don't accept a ladder challenge within 5 days, your challenger
assumes the position above you on the ladder. (The positions are
regularly updated on our website)
A "C" next to your name means you have issued a challenge or
have been challenged.
An "X" next to your name is to show you are busy playing a
You cannot challenge someone who has an X or C or
V next to their name.
- You are already playing a ladder match
- You challenged someone and are waiting for acceptance
- It is against the same opponent as your previous game
- You are on Vacation
- Everyone can take a vacation (up to 1 month per year).
- A "V" next to your name shows you are on vacation.
- If you are on vacation, you cannot be challenged.
- You should not take a vacation during the game.
In case of unforeseen situations, you can take up to 3 days of
vacation per game.
If you take more than 3 days of vacation, your game may be forfeited,
If you take a vacation more than 6 times, your game may be forfeited.
The decision about forfeiting a game is at the discretion of the
Joining the Ladder
- If you want to join the ladder, post a request in the forum
You have to play at least one game in the first month since joining
Leaving the Ladder
- If you want to leave the ladder, post a request in Ladder Forum
- You may be removed from the Ladder if:
- you were not online for more than 2 months
- you did not play any ladder games for more than 2 months
you did not accept 3 challenges in a row (aborting the game or losing
on time in less than 6 moves without explanation counts as not
accepting the challenge)
- you left the Hermanus Chess Club
you joined a ladder but do not play any game in the first month.
Though the format should be 3 days per move, shorter or longer (up to
5 days) formats are permissible (both players should agree). If you
are challenged and prefer a different format or unrated game, you
should ask the challenger to issue new challenge.
If you want to challenge someone, but for some reason are unable to do
so (e.g. the person is not accepting challenges from
higher/lower-rated players), then you should send a message asking for
a challenge. Then this person should:
- Challenge you
- Make it possible for you to challenge them
If it happens that you have forgotten to post your challenge in the
forum and someone challenges you to a ladder game, you should post
your first challenge and ignore the second challenge
Links to our Online Teams