Hermanus Chess Club Online Ladder
- The format will be 3 days per move, random colors with a standard starting position.
- Only one ladder game is played to determine the winner.
- Your 1st challenge is "free" i.e. you can challenge anyone providing they are not already playing someone. Thereafter you may challenge anybody up to 4 unchallenged places above you (not counting people on Vacation or people already playing a challenge game, i.e. with an X next to them).
- Name your game "Ladder Challenge" or something similar, so your opponent knows it is for the ladder (if you cannot change the default name, send a message that it is Ladder challenge). Always remember to post your challenge in the corresponding forum (either liches or chess.com)
- If the higher position on the ladder wins or the game ends in a draw, no change in positions. If the lower one wins, they take over the higher spot and everybody in-between moves down 1 position.
- You have to accept all challenges within 5 days except if:
- You are already playing a ladder match
- You challenged someone and are waiting for acceptance
- It is against the same opponent as your previous game
- You are on Vacation
- Everyone can take a vacation (up to 1 month per year).
- A "V" next to your name shows you are on vacation.
- If you are on vacation, you cannot be challenged.
- You should not take a vacation during the game.
- In case of unforeseen situations, you can take up to 3 days of vacation per game.
- If you take more than 3 days of vacation, your game may be forfeited,
- If you take a vacation more than 6 times, your game may be forfeited. .
- The decision about forfeiting a game is at the discretion of the admin.
Joining the Ladder
- If you want to join the ladder, post a request in the forum
- You have to play at least one game in the first month since joining the ladder.
Leaving the Ladder
- If you want to leave the ladder, post a request in Ladder Forum
- You may be removed from the Ladder if:
- you were not online for more than 2 months
- you did not play any ladder games for more than 2 months
- you did not accept 3 challenges in a row (aborting the game or losing on time in less than 6 moves without explanation counts as not accepting the challenge)
- you left the Hermanus Chess Club
- you joined a ladder but do not play any game in the first month.
- Though the format should be 3 days per move, shorter or longer (up to 5 days) formats are permissible (both players should agree). If you are challenged and prefer a different format or unrated game, you should ask the challenger to issue new challenge.
- If you want to challenge someone, but for some reason are unable to do so (e.g. the person is not accepting challenges from higher/lower-rated players), then you should send a message asking for a challenge. Then this person should:
- Challenge you
- Make it possible for you to challenge them
- If it happens that you have forgotten to post your challenge in the forum and someone challenges you to a ladder game, you should post your first challenge and ignore the second challenge